[DRBD-user] drbd device not ready on reboot

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jan 27 12:33:06 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:06:11AM +0100, Michael Grant wrote:
> Now, for the moment, when I type 'yes' to abort waiting and the
> machine fully comes up, when I try to mount one of these
> never-yet-degraded resources, I get this error:
>
>     mount: block device /dev/drbd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
>     mount: Wrong medium type
>
> I find that I cannot mount this resource until I again do:
>
>     drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary vm2-root
>
> Why do I need to do this each time I boot?  Is there some way to avoid
> this until I get my other half of the resource up?

DRBD will come up "passive", Secondary, by design.
you have to "activate", "promote" it to Primary role,
before you are allowed to access it.

that is typically done by a cluster manager.

you should leave off the "--overwrite", though.
that should really only be used on the initial device creation.

if you feel it suits your current situation better,
consider adding a "become-primary-on" statement to your drbd.conf,
and the drbd init script will already do the switch to primary for you.

--
: Lars Ellenberg