[DRBD-user] Changing Hostname

Ian Knight ian at 34sp.com
Fri May 16 22:56:30 CEST 2008

Florian Haas wrote:
> Ian,
>
> assuming you "masked" just your domain names and your unqualified host
> names are genuine, naming your servers "master" and "slave" is a really
> really bad idea. You should think of your DRBD cluster as a pair of
> interchangable equal peers. Good luck troubleshooting that system when
> your server named "master" has the slave role and its DRBD device is
> Primary. I don't know about you, but it would cause _me_ a major headache.

Ok the hostnames really arent relevant to the setup - as its basically
hosting an OpenVZ system - so the actual main work is being done inside
that and not on the main OS, thats just the container for the VZ
enviroment - the hostnames are named adaptly at this point so i knew
which ones i was working on, but it seems that i am unable to change
them once the initial setup has been done which is basically the issue
im having.
>> Uname -n would return the master.CORRECTDOMAIN.com
>>

> I'm sorry, what do you mean by "it would return"? I mean, _does_ it
> return this now?

Yes it returns "master.CORRECTDOMAIN.com" (i have had to revert it to
master.INCORRECTDOMAIN.com to get it back online at this time - as drbd
will not start with the updated hostname)

--
Ian