[DRBD-user] replacing sec. node with other disk layout on live system ?

G.Jacobsen g_jacobsen at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 13 07:00:23 CEST 2008

I have drbd 0.7 running. I would like to replace the current secondary/slave
node with a different machine on a live system. The problem is that this new
machine has a different storage/disk layout.

Therefore the drbd.conf is different than in the current setup. (the storage
location of the secondary node changes)

The manual states that the drbd.conf has to be identical on both nodes, so
it doesnt seem to be possible to replace the secondary node having a new
disk/storage location in a live system.

I do not want to take down the primary node as this is a production system.
My plan was to resync the new secondary node, then make the new secondary
the primary and then change the drbd.conf file on the former primary to
reflect the new disk/storage location of the new machine. Is it possible ?

Thanks for clarifying.

Gerry