[DRBD-user] Re: mounting /home on drbd device

Gernot Schmied gernot.schmied at chello.at
Thu May 1 13:24:01 CEST 2008

Am Montag, den 28.04.2008, 23:22 +0200 schrieb Jürgen Scholz:
> Hello!
>
> You could
>    # mount --bind /mnt/drbd/home /home
> the home directory in /etc/rc2.d/S99. That would eliminate all your
> problems regarding sequence and the home directory is available right
> before any user can log in.
>
> HTH,
> juergen

Hi Jürgen, thanks a lot for the idea. However, I am not yet sure whether
the desired outcome could be achieved. I intend to move the entire
content of the original /home to /mnt/lvm/home which is replicated via
drbd, /home is not!

Your suggestion is intriguing though. According to the mount man page
the data is accessible "in two places", does that mean the data remains
on /home? That would defeat the desired backup purpose.

I am still messing with the boot order. Right now I am activating my
logical volume group in the drbd init script. Would it be a good idea to
just simply 'mount /mnt/lvm/home /home' at that point in the boot
sequence and be done with it? How about fstab?

Thanks,
Gernot