[DRBD-user] info on degr-wfc-timeout

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:37:43 CEST 2008

My system is a 2.1.4 heartbeat cluster with rh el 5.2.
I have 2.x config enabled (with crm = on) on it.
I have installed kmod-drbd82-8.2.6-1.2.6.18_92.el5 and
drbd82-8.2.6-1.el5.centos
drbd module is started itself before heartbeat and I use drbdisk resource
script in heartbeat to manage it.
If primary node is up and I shutdown the second, on the primary I get some
change status steps with
connection: Connected -> NetworkFailure -> Unconnected -> WFConnection
state of peer: Secondary -> Unknown
peer disk: DUnknown -> Outdated
(because outdate-peer helper returned 5 (peer is unreachable, assumed to be
dead)

so that the final status on the primary is

[root at nfsnode1 ~]# service drbd status
drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
version: 8.2.6 (api:88/proto:86-88)
GIT-hash: 3e69822d3bb4920a8c1bfdf7d647169eba7d2eb4 build by
buildsvn at c5-i386-build, 2008-06-21 08:29:11
m:res              cs            st               ds                 p
mounted        fstype
0:drbd-resource-0  WFConnection  Primary/Unknown  UpToDate/Outdated  C
/drbd0         ext3

When I restart nfsnode1 (keeping nfsnode2 powered off) I would expect during
drbd startup that degr-wfc-timeout will take place.
Instead it seems that wfc-timeout is the parameter followed: with
wfc-timeout set to 0 no start at all, with it put to 30 seconds, after 30
seconds drbd starts, and then heartbeat correctly.
So the question is: when drbd thinks it is in degraded mode?
or does it depends on the fact that heartbeat stop during shutdown puts it
in Secondary mode?

Thanks,
Gianluca