[DRBD-user] drbd and mkfs.gfs -j 3

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Aug 21 17:37:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 05:59:47PM +0300, Alex wrote:
> Hello drbd experts,
>
> I have drbd-8.2.6 working fine in dual-primary mode, mirroring 2 nodes.
>
> According to drbd howto
> (http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-gfs-create.html) i saw that since DRBD
> does not support more than two nodes i can't format /dev/drbd0 using more
> then 2 journals (2 nodes): mkfs -t gfs -p lock_dlm -j 2 /dev/drbd0 and MOUNT
> IT on more then 2 nodes.
>
> Now, supposing that:
> - i have 4 machines grouped two by two in order to get two different drbd
> devices /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1
> - i am exporting /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1 using iSCSI to the 5th macine
> - on the 5th machine, i am using lvm to join /dev/drbd{0,1} in one volume
> pvcreate /dev/drbd0 /dev/drbd1
> vgcreate myvg /dev/drbd0 /dev/drbd1
> lvcreate ... mylv myvg -> will result logical volume /dev/myvg/mylv
>
> Let say that /dev/myvg/mylv is exported now to another 3 nodes (again, via
> iscsi for example).
>
> Question:
>
> Can i use now mkfs.gfs -p lock_dlm -j 3 /dev/myvg/mylv in order to have GFS on
> top WITH 3 JOURNALS and of course to write on it from those 3 MACHINES AT THE
> SAME TIME? If not, is any other way to achieve -j 3 ...?

keep it simple.  how about

 [as many iSCSI initiator clients as you want,          ]
 [ all accessing the same iSCSI target formatted as GFS ]
                          //
 .-----------------------,,-----------------------------.
 |    iSCSI target cluster (SAN replacement)            |
 |     in "simple" "standard" failover configuration    |
 | [drbd node a]-=-=-replication link-=-=-[drbd node b] |

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks
of LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH