[DRBD-user] drbd and mkfs.gfs -j 3

Alex linux at vfemail.net
Thu Aug 21 16:59:47 CEST 2008

Hello drbd experts,

I have drbd-8.2.6 working fine in dual-primary mode, mirroring 2 nodes.

According to drbd howto
(http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-gfs-create.html) i saw that since DRBD
does not support more than two nodes i can't format /dev/drbd0 using more
then 2 journals (2 nodes): mkfs -t gfs -p lock_dlm -j 2 /dev/drbd0 and MOUNT
IT on more then 2 nodes.

Now, supposing that:
- i have 4 machines grouped two by two in order to get two different drbd
devices /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1
- i am exporting /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1 using iSCSI to the 5th macine
- on the 5th machine, i am using lvm to join /dev/drbd{0,1} in one volume
pvcreate /dev/drbd0 /dev/drbd1
vgcreate myvg /dev/drbd0 /dev/drbd1
lvcreate ... mylv myvg -> will result logical volume /dev/myvg/mylv

Let say that /dev/myvg/mylv is exported now to another 3 nodes (again, via
iscsi for example).

Question:

Can i use now mkfs.gfs -p lock_dlm -j 3 /dev/myvg/mylv in order to have GFS on
top WITH 3 JOURNALS and of course to write on it from those 3 MACHINES AT THE
SAME TIME? If not, is any other way to achieve -j 3 ...?

Regards,
Alx