[DRBD-user] HW RAID5 changed size -> drbr DiskLess

Petr Cervenka petr.cervenka at interzonegames.com
Wed Sep 26 10:16:30 CEST 2007

Hi there,

we are using DRBD on HW raid (sdb) on raw device no partition, after we
did hotplug increase of disk from 220 to 400, the kernel could not
reload the device , i tried fdisk reload etc..nothing. So I had to
reboot, after reboot i can the disk has new size but DRBD failed to
startup,

rbd: initialised. Version: 8.0.6 (api:86/proto:86)
drbd: SVN Revision: 3048 build by root at darla2.per.in.iz, 2007-09-18 22:34:02
drbd: registered as block device major 147
drbd: minor_table @ 0xffff8100731dee80
drbd0: disk( Diskless -> Attaching )
drbd0: Error while reading metadata, magic not found.
drbd0: disk( Attaching -> Diskless )
drbd0: drbd_bm_resize called with capacity == 0
drbd0: worker terminated
drbd0: conn( StandAlone -> Unconnected )
drbd0: receiver (re)started
drbd0: conn( Unconnected -> WFConnection )

so I tried :
root at darla1:~ # drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 resize
Failure: (138) Device does not have a disk-config

I could not find what that means at all, google just points me to source
of drbdsetup.c, I also tried set size in config (400G) but did not make
any changes. From my undestanding extending block device should work
same like LVM so I dont really know why the metadata have gone? Can you
please advice what I did wrong, or what can I do to fix this. This is
only on one machine , 2nd machine is offline. My plan was to increase
one by one.

Thanks
Petr Cervenka