[DRBD-user] understanding meta-disk parameter in drbd.conf

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 20:10:34 CEST 2007

Sorry to revisit this issue, and maybe it should be obtusely clear and
simple to everyone,

but I'm trying to understand how this works, in very detailed terms,
in regards to drbd.conf and using meta-disk with or without using "internal"

our current method-
install DRBD, setup drbd.conf as:

 device     /dev/drbd0;
 disk       /dev/cciss/c0d1;
 address    10.10.1.1:7788;
 meta-disk  internal;

device     /dev/drbd1;
 disk       /dev/cciss/c0d2;
 address    10.10.1.1:7789;
 meta-disk  internal;

/dev/cciss/c0d1 and c0d2 are "raw" drives - not partitions.
we don't use makefs or anything like that.

once we have /dev/drbd0 and drbd1 we use makefs to create a reiserfs
filesystem on that
and mount /dev/drbd0 and drbd1 to our mount points.

It seems we still have issues of drbd trying to write beyond the end of the
disk.

I'm still not sure this is correct. I'm wondering if we should be doing this
instead:
create a 300MB partition as reiserfs (?) called c0d1p0 and setup
drbd.conflike this:

device /dev/dev/drbd0
disk /dev/cciss/c0d1p1
address 10.10.1.1:7788;
meta-disk /dev/cciaa/c0d1p0[0]

device /dev/dev/drbd1
disk /dev/cciss/c0d1p2
address 10.10.1.1:7789;
meta-disk /dev/cciaa/c0d1p0[1]

but technically c0d1p1 or c0d1p2 won't exist at this point, it's the
remainder of the drives.

This is a bit confusing to me as to what the proper method is for this.
using "raw" disk the documentation stating to "shrink" the file system
doesn't apply. You can't shrink raw disk...

can we get some low-level "step by step" documentation from setting up the
raw disks, partitions, with exact command-lines that should be used.

Sorry again, I know this seems obtuse.

Dan.