[DRBD-user] DRBD Transport Latency

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jan 30 14:08:07 CET 2007

/ 2007-01-29 10:30:52 +0100
\ H.D.:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like replicate a DBMS (PostgreSQL) under heavy OLTP workload with protocol C. By heavy I mean > 1500
> transactions per second, which results in at least as many fsyncs.
>
> I've used DRBD a while, but in way smaller setups, where performance was secondary.
>
> The hardware I'm planing to run this on has not been delivered yet, so I can't just test it. My question now is
> whether (trunked) gigabit ethernet can delivery the short round trip times required for this application at all
> and if DRBD can use other transports such as Infiniband?

DRBD is happy to use any IPv4 based network you give it.
(or probably v6, but I think our config
tools do not support the v6 syntax yet)

also note that rtt in LAN is usually orders of magnitude
less than average seek time/fsync time of storage.
also in a dedicated fo for over 20km,
rtt might be in the order of one digit ms, iirc.

drbd8 should give some improvements regarding latency, too.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :