[DRBD-user] Reproduceable error - creating a single directory causes drbd to fail

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Feb 8 17:48:52 CET 2007

/ 2007-02-08 09:26:45 -0500
\ Dan Gahlinger:
> >and that would be which kernel and drbd version/revision exactly?
> >(sorry, no 10.2 handy right now)
>
> Kernel: 2.6.18.2-34 (x86) SMP
> Although I've tried slightly older kernel too (the one from suse
> 10.1) dont have it handy though.
>
> DRBD version:
> "out of the box" - 0.7.22-30
>
> >and if you do this without drbd,
> >it does behave fine, presumably?
>
> It works fine without drbd, yes.
>

> >what is in kernel log before "read-only file system" ?
> >any oopes, BUG()s, stacktraces or drbd related messages?
>
> no errors in the kernel log or messages, no traces, no bugs, no errors.

no way. there _HAS_ to be a log from the ext3 that it remounts readonly
because of something.
if not, you are looking at the wrong logfile.

> >what file system?
>
> ext3. I've never been able to get drbd to work with anything else.
>
> >does it happen
> > without drbd ?
> Yes!

uhm, you mean no, right?

> > with drbd StandAlone?
> Yes!
> > with drbd Connected?
>
> Yes!
>
> In fact, I've nailed it down a bit, to do "quick testing"
> I created a test directory as follows (as root):
>
> mkdir /test
> cd /test
> mkdir A
> tar -cvf test.tar .
>
> then copied this 10k tar file to the partition I just setup with DRBD,
>
> and tried to untar it.
>
> DRBD will "crash" every time!  By this I mean, it cannot create the directory,
> and instantly puts the partition into "read-only mode"

it is not DRBD that remounts anything readonly.
it is the ext3 file system, normally because of io-errors.
and it will log why. I need that error message.

> Every single time.
>

> I can untar hundreds of megs, of thousands of files, and it's fine.
> But try and untar a single directory, and wham! every time.
>
> what's up with this? weirder and weirder.

does a mkdir there have the same effect?

> >did you run memtest
>

> No, but I'm not sure how this applies. the system runs perfectly without DRBD.
> such a small simple test, it's not ram.

now, see, we have fileservers in production.
database clusters.  quite a few of them.
terabytes of storage.

never heard of what you describe,
unless it was user error -- or bad hardware.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :