[DRBD-user] Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 24 21:13:37 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 06:18:29AM -0700, Maila wrote:
> Hello.

you have to subscribe to be allowed to post to this list.

> We have made some performance tests with DRBD and Postgresql 8.2.3. We have
> two identical servers in a cluster (Dell 2950) with a partition of 100 GB
> managed by DRBD: once we checked Postgres keeping his data folder in a local
> partition, the second time we moved the data folder in the shared partition.
> The partition is mounted with the option noatime in order to not update the
> inode access time in case of read access.
> We used pgbench for the testings, creating a dabase of about 3GB with a
> scale of 200. After we perfomed 10 tests for each configuration, simulating
> the usage of 100 clients with 500 transactions each.

please first tune for "sequential write",
before you try to tune for any particular application.

there is a very short section about drbd performance tuning in

if that does not help, subscribe, post again,
and do not forget to tell us about
network characteristics, especially latency,
e.g. do some flood pings with different packet sizes.

: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :