[DRBD-user] Filesystem corruption question

jeffb jeffb at umci.com
Mon Aug 6 19:40:44 CEST 2007

Enrico Morelli wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 09:32:33AM +0200, Enrico Morelli wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> if the filesystem built on a drbd device on the master become
>>> corrupted the corruption will be duplicated also in the slave?
>>>
>> drbd mirrors on the block level.
>
> The problem was that on the primary I had found some home directory
> with ????? instead of permissions, links, creation date, etc. and I
> was unable to enter on its.
>
> The same things occurs on the secondary. I don't know if it's a drbd
> problem or reiserfs problem.

Sounds like a problem in the filesystem, or possibly no problem there
either.

For good or bad, drbd mirrors *EVERYTHING*, so if the filesystem is
screwed up on one, then it probably is on the other as well, unless the
problem was a physical problem with the disks, or a corruption problem
in the device driver..

In your case though, a program or a script could have freaked out and
created a file/filename that is very difficult to deal with.  If that is
the case, the filesystem is still OK, but you could be having troubles
getting your shell to deal with a file named
<Control-q><Control-a><Enter><Control-W>?....

I would suggest moving all other files to another folder, and then using
a wildcard to fix it. Something like "mv * fooberry_directory".. Now the
fact that it's /home or equiv might make that pretty tricky.. You might
have to make a /home2, move all the other files there, and rename /home
/home_old, and rename /home2 to /home.. Then go to home_old and try to
fix things up.. It gets even trickier if /home is your mount point...
end even more so again if there's a lot of data in /home..

Note, sometimes hackers try to protect or hide certain things by putting
them in a directory with a screwy name. This doesn't sound like one of
those cases (too obvious), but I thought I should mention it.