[DRBD-user] DRBD State Confusion

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 13:29:53 CEST 2006

Usman Ahmad wrote:

Please stop top-posting if you want me to keep helping you for free,
it's a pain. Also, I don't need a copy of list mail thanks.

> When does the drbd at both machines decide to sync?
> Is it always syncing in background?
[...other related questions...]

Did you read the documentation?

The two nodes in the cluster synchronise "live" when the machines are
connected and there is no argument about who is primary. In fact if you
use protocol C then a write is replicated live across the two nodes
before returning to the OS).

> I read about the DRBD+ for more than two nodes operaiton, is it open
> source, free to use?

No, it is commercial, supported by the author of DRBD and his company
Linbit.
Although I do not use DRBD+, I can highly recommend their excellent
services as I have taken part in a superb 2-day DRBD workshop provided
by Linbit and Philipp Reisner.  Contact office at linbit.com for more info.

Tim