RES: [DRBD-user] DRBD + GFS + iSCSI?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Oct 17 14:26:45 CEST 2006

/ 2006-10-17 11:47:01 +0530
\ Milind Dumbare:
> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 20:54 -0500, CA Lists wrote:
> > My concern was that having multiple clients writing data to the same disk
> > might be an issue for DRBD, but, based on your response, I'm assuming that
> > as long as the filesystem support write ordering, DRBD doesn't really care.
> > Is that an accurate assumption?
> Yes thats correct assumption. But check with the stable versions 0.7.X,
> I tried with 0.8.xPre (unstable) versions. See the publication
> (drbd8pre.pdf) page on drbd.org they have explained this situation
> handling.

please do not confuse these two situations:

 * cluster file system on top of drbd.
   both drbd nodes may actively access and modify the device

 * cluster file system on top of some exported device.
   only one drbd node needs to be active.
   if you export via iSCSI, for drbd locally, there may even be no file
   system at all, or any suitable filesystem with image files in it.
   for drbd, this situation is similar to being an nfs file server.
   what the clients do with the _exported_ devices, and whether they have
   a cluster file system on it: drbd does not care.

again: whether you use drbd 0.7.x or drbd 8preX is a completely
different question from what you want to do with the exported
devices on the iSCSI level.