RES: [DRBD-user] DRBD + GFS + iSCSI?

Milind Dumbare milind at linsyssoft.com
Tue Oct 17 08:17:01 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 20:54 -0500, CA Lists wrote:
> My concern was that having multiple clients writing data to the same disk
> might be an issue for DRBD, but, based on your response, I'm assuming that
> as long as the filesystem support write ordering, DRBD doesn't really care.
> Is that an accurate assumption?
Yes thats correct assumption. But check with the stable versions 0.7.X,
I tried with 0.8.xPre (unstable) versions. See the publication
(drbd8pre.pdf) page on drbd.org they have explained this situation
handling.

>  Anyone else on the list done this before?
I have tried with unstable version with both nodes active (primary) and
OCFS2 above them. DRBD-8.0pre3 does well on it.
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> > Yes it is possible, and there is people that had done something like that
> > before.
> > You will do all that is done in the server part here:
> > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-9592_11-5854600.html
> >
> > forget about the windows client part in the document.
> >
> > After you have one iscsi target under heartbeat exporting the drbd disk, you
> > will have to install the iscsi initiator in the clients that will access the
> > disk, and after that, install GFS in all the clients, pluss formatting the
> > iscsi exported disk with gfs.
> >
> > You will use only drbd active/passive, there is no need to use active/active
> > in this situation.
> >
> > You can use ocfs2 or any shared filesystem instead of gfs if you prefer.
> >
> > Please, documentate this configuration and send to me if possible.
> >
> > I had done this before, but didnt have time to documentate it yet.
> >

> > Best Regards.
> > Leonardo Rodrigues de Mello

Milind
"The world is divided into one group: those who start counting at 0,
and those who don't."