[DRBD-user] Lower Device already mounted error

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Jun 19 16:25:11 CEST 2006

drbd at bathnetworks.com wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Not sure if this got though as I haven't had a reply.
>
> I have tried changing disks, deleting the node /dev/hdd on shorty and
> recreating as well as deleting the partition etc. I have also reinstalled
> Centos as a desperate measure with the same error. Not sure what to do
> next apart from throw the machine in the river.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm new to drbd and fairly new to Centos, I am trying to setup a NFS
>>server using heartbeat.
>>
>>I managed to get drbd to work using a simple setup of 2 drives on
>>different machines, but when I add a further 2 drives I run into this
>>error on.
>>
>>Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 d1 ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed:
>>Invalid argument
>>Lower device is already mounted.
>>
>>cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/hdd1 internal -1  failed!

At this point... lets gather some info, run the following commands:
mount
cat /etc/mtab
cat /proc/mounts

  From what you have indicated I expect all of them to match (at least with
respect to /dev/hdd1).

Guesses at what might be going on:
1) /dev/hdd1 was created in a way that LVM thinks it should manage the
partition, so LVM mounts it.

2) the tool you created the partition with put it in the automount config
(/etc/auto.*) ???

Also IIRC with drbd 7.x you should be using drbdadm not drbdsetup (Note you
don't show the command you used, just the error message, which as far as I
know may have been generated by drbdadm).

>>As far as I can tell, hdd1 is not mounted, there is no reference to it in
>>fstab etc. - It is a new partition that I created just before running drbd
>>and it is not listed in response to mount.

How did you create it?

--
Todd Denniston