[DRBD-user] mysql on drdb or mysql replication

paddy paddy at panici.net
Fri Feb 10 18:53:17 CET 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:37:30AM -0600, Nate Reed wrote:

> > > I must have lost track of the discussion.  :)  I didn't suggest running
> > > MySql Cluster on a single node.  Clearly, one has to choose between 1)
> > > MySql clustering on multiple nodes and 2) using DRBD active/passive with
> > > mysql running on a single node.  Not both.
> >
> > and IIRC MySQL-Cluster has to keep the whole database in RAM ?
>
> I have to confess I am guilty of commenting about the original question while
> being ignorant of some of the issues involved.  Since I haven't used MySql
> clustering before, I don't know anything about how it's implemented.  I also
> made an assumption about its use: replication of the database on multiple
> nodes.  There must be some kind of central coordination of access to the
> mysql cluster, but I doubt it would be so inefficient as to require the
> entire database to kept in RAM, any more than DRBD is required to keep an
> entire filesystem in RAM....
>
> Nate

I have not used MySQL cluster either, and its a while since I looked
into it.

at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-cluster-faq.html
it says:

 How much RAM do I need? Is it possible to use disk memory at all?

 Currently, Cluster is in-memory only. This means that all table data
 (including indexes) is stored in RAM. Therefore, if your data takes up
 1GB of space and you want to replicate it once in the cluster, you need
 2GB of memory to do so. This in addition to the memory required by the
 operating system and any applications running on the cluster computers.

 You can use the following formula for obtaining a rough estimate of how
 much RAM is needed for each data node in the cluster:

 (SizeofDatabase × NumberOfReplicas × 1.1 ) / NumberOfDataNodes

but, at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysql-5-1-cluster-roadmap.html
it says:

 Support for disk-based records: Records on disk will be supported.
 Indexed fields including the primary key hash index must still be stored
 in RAM but all other fields can be on disk.

So that information may be out-of date now. dunno.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall