[DRBD-user] Re: Heartbeat.

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 23 10:59:50 CEST 2006

Milind Dumbare <milind at linsyssoft.com> writes:

> Sorry for very may be stupid question. But do we need heartbeat
> running on both nodes in 0.7 or 0.8pre3.

No.  You don't need heartbeat running at all for DBRD to work.
What you do need heartbeat for is to make DRBD *useful*.

Basically DRBD doesn't provide any high level fail-over support at all.

So, unless you want to have to come in at 3AM and manually set up the
second machine because the first one failed you need something like
heartbeat for this to work.

You can use any other solution, including one you write yourself, in
place of heartbeat, though. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/