[DRBD-user] What causes split-brain? How to avoid it?

Tip Ring sv476 at rediffmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:45:17 CEST 2006

We are using DRBD v0.7.11 and kernel v2.6.10. In the syslog sometimes I observed message saying "Split-brain detected...." and then both the DRBDs go to "StandAlone" state. This is occuring mainly during the initial full sync. When/why/how does this split-brain occur? Are there any ways to avoid it? We have only one network interface between the two DRBDs and the same is used for data traffic and heartbeat. Thanks.

TR