[DRBD-user] Need Advice from the Masters

Matthias Weigel matthias.weigel at maweos.de
Fri May 13 17:30:23 CEST 2005

Hello Helmut,

Helmut Wollmersdorfer schrieb:

> Matthias Weigel wrote:
>
>> I use drbd together with heartbeat. One network has a public
>> service-IP, the other is just a crossover cable. DRBD uses the public
>> IPs (not the service IP). The reason for the extra
>> crossover-cable-network is, I want to make sure no "both active" state
>> is created in case of a network/patch/switch failure.
>

> I wonder a little bit about your planned configuration.
> With two nodes in the same location/room and a crossover-cable, the
> usual way is crossover dedicated to DRBD, [public|LAN]-IPs for service,
> heartbeat. The heartbeats can be configured for crossover and a
> serial-crossover additionally. 3 ways for heartbeat should be enough to
> avoid split brain.

Well, heartbeat monitors the public interfaces. So my thinking was to
also let drbd use the monitored IPs to make sure drbd and heartbeat
aggree on connectivity status.
Heartbeat can be configured to monitor multiple interfaces/paths. So i
wanted to use drbd with multiple paths. But this is probably a feature
not even yet on a wishlist...

Best Regards

Matthias Weigel