[DRBD-user] Quotacheck problem with drbd

Diego Julian Remolina dijuremo at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 14 18:54:05 CET 2005

Problem solved,

Thanks to Eugene Crosser for pointing out my mistake.  I am sending this message
for the list in case anybody else runs into a similar problem.

The quotacheck problem was due to the fact that I had originally format the
physical partition /dev/sda6 as opposed to the drbd device /dev/drbd0.  I had
some data in /dev/sda6 and I though I could move to drbd without reformatting
it. Everything worked fine except quotacheck using the previous method.  Maybe
it can be done, but I did not follow the required steps, which I do not know upt
to this point.  If anyone could comment on how to do this, that would be great.

I took the opportunity to repartition my drive and set a separate partition for
metadata.  From my experience with Solaris Volume manager, you want to have your
metadata in a separate partition, what is the experts opinion for drbd?

What I did:
I deleted /dev/sda/6 and recreated it 1GB smaller.
I created a 1GB partition on /dev/sda7 for metadata.

[root at arwen /]# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 586.7 GB, 586774740992 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 71337 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14        1318    10482412+  83  Linux
/dev/sda3            1319        3929    20972857+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4            3930       71337   541454760    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            3930        4190     2096451   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda6            4191       71209   538330086   83  Linux
/dev/sda7           71210       71337     1028128+  83  Linux

I then rebooted for the partition table to take effect in the kernel and ran
drbdsetup (you may want to run it with -d first to see what will be done):

[root at arwen ~]# drbdadm adjust export
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sda6 /dev/sda7 0 --on-io-error=detach
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 syncer --rate=30M --group=1 --al-extents=257
/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 net 10.0.0.16:7789 10.0.0.17:7789 C

Next I forced this server to be the primary.
drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary --do-what-I-say

Then I created the filesystem with mkfs directly on the drbd device and used
tune2fs to disable mount count and interval checking:
mkfs -j /dev/drbd0
tune2fs -c -1 -i 0 /dev/drbd0

I finally mounted /dev/drbd0 on /export with quota support and rsynced all data
back.

Next, did the exact same thing on the second server and the sync started when I
started drbd from the init script on the master.

quotacheck works fine now:
[root at arwen /]# quotacheck -ugmv /export/
quotacheck: Scanning /dev/drbd0 [/export] done
quotacheck: Checked 538 directories and 3223 files

---------------drbd.conf----------------------------------------
#
# please have a a look at the example configuration file in
# /usr/share/doc/drbd.conf
#
#
resource export {
  protocol C;
  incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60 ; halt -f";
  startup {
    wfc-timeout         0;  ## Infinite!
    degr-wfc-timeout   60;  ## 2 minutes.
  }