[DRBD-user] DRBD installation problems

Alex Vrenios alex at DSRLab.com
Tue Mar 1 00:17:09 CET 2005

Hi,

I just posted an answer to the same question, because I had the same problem
and solved it. (At least I think I did!)

First, I have 0.7.10 on a Redhat 9 pair and I dedicated two 4G drives to
DBRD, one added to each PC at /dev/hdd. I made two partitions on each: 3G
and 1G defined as /dev/hdd1 and /dev/hdd2, respectively. Then I issued:

root# drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/hdd1 /dev/hdd2 1

where /dev/hdd1 is my "resource file" that I want DRBD to mirror, dev/hdd2
is the "meta data" file that DRBD uses to track mirroring, and 1 (the number
one) is the index number that seems to work. (Someone here recommended using
-1,but that was an invalid choice according to the drbdsetup command. 1
works, but 2 doesn't - I have no idea what this means.)

More (not all) info on meta data file sizes and use can be found in the man
page for drbdsetup: "man drbdsetup" works on my PC under RH9.

Finally, after the drbdsetup command above, I issue:

   root# mkfs -b 3072 /dev/drbd0

   root# cd /; mkdir /data

   root# mount /dev/drbd0 /data

   root# chmod 777 /data

After these commands, I add "/etc/init.d/drbd   start" to my rc.local

>From then on, my application user id can access and write data to the /data
area on the primary machine, and it is mirrored to my backup PC.

DISCLAIMER: I am still trying to figure out DRBD, especially the .conf file
entries, so I am by no means an expert. The above worked for me...

Alex