[DRBD-user] Some questions about drbd

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Wed Jul 6 17:11:22 CEST 2005

[...]
I guess all the questions are answered by now...

> 4. one of the questions that came to my boss' mind and which is
>    (more or less) directed to linbit: is there any guarantee that
>    drbd will still exist in, say, 5 to 10 years from now?? What I
>    mean is, if we use it at work, we well use it for quite some
>    time and have to make sure that it isn't gone in two years...
>    (please bear with me, I've been using linux for about 10 years
>    now, I'm an open source freak, but my boss is not...and I'd like
>    my opinions to be backed up by someone more knowledgeable, at best
>    by someone from linbit :-) )

drbd-0.7.11 (and all the versions before) are copyright by
me, Lars G. Ellenberg some contributors and LINBIT.
Licensed by the copyright holders to everybody under the terms
of the GPL.

-> In case that all copyright holders decide to discontinue
   their work on it, every licensee (who accepted the GPL) can
   potentially continue to maintain it and make subsequent
   releases.
   -> You are legally on solid ground.
   -> BTW, this also applies to LINUX.
   [BTW  since today you can be a lot more sure that you will
         never be sued by some multi national enterprise
         that the software you use infringes one of their
         software patents ! the EU parliament got it right ! ]

But, we will continue to maintain, and develop it, actually
drbd-8 is around the corner...

-philipp