[DRBD-user] usage of external meta-disk

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Aug 25 17:57:28 CEST 2005

/ 2005-08-25 21:20:51 +0800
\ David Huang:
> Hello
>
> After all the problems I had with internal meta-disk, I've decided to use external option instead.
> It works great so far, however, there is one problem.
>
> I set meta-disk as meta-disk /dev/VG/drbd_meta_device[x], and x= 0 to
> 5. Say drbd_meta_device[0] was used by drbd0 device, now I like to
> delete drbd0 and make drbd1 to use drbd_meta_device[0]. When I drbdadm
> up drbd0 in both nodes, "/etc/drbd status" tells me drbd1 is
> Consistent, which suppose to be Inconsistent. The problem can be
> solved by making drbd1 to use a fresh new, unused drbd_meta_device[x].

meta data move is not implemented in drbd 0.7,
and needs to be done by hand.

dd might be friend or foe here.

for example, kids do not try this at work,
# move meta data from /dev/VG/md [5]  to /dev/VG/md [3]
dd if=/dev/VG/md bs=128M count=1 skip=5 of=tmp.md.5
dd of=/dev/VG/md bs=128M count=1 seek=3 if=tmp.md.5

you should NOT do this while drbd is running.
and if this drinks your coffe, don't ask me why it did so :)

but, if you are using LVM, please use one lv per md device.
makes it all so much easier.
and you can start from scratch with a simple
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/VG/drbd_XY_md