[DRBD-user] Minimum/recommended system requirements

Chris de Vidal Chris at deVidal.tv
Wed Apr 20 16:06:14 CEST 2005

Update: We had to stop DRBD because Qmail was queing too many
emails... as soon as I stopped DRBD on the secondary box Qmail was able to
process the backlog of email.

Last night I changed the protocol to "A" and load average seems steady.
I've read that "C" actually performs better; perhaps with beefier machines
it does, but "A" seems to work well on a Celeron 600 w/ a 100MBit
connection.  We'll see.

And CentOS automatically runs hdparm.  As I tried screwing around with
different settings, performance *decreased* so I left it alone.  Getting
200MB/24MB with -Tt.

CD

Chris de Vidal said this while chewing gum:
> Wonderful program!
>
> I set up a 60GB and a 20GB partition and have been using them in
production for the past 4 days in concert with Heartbeat.  Approximately
100 domains are running on a hot-standby cluster and I'm sleeping better
at night :-)

> I noticed that when I did a dump/restore from another box the load
average
> went through the roof and even shut down many processes like Apache and
MySQL.

> So my question: do our boxes meet the minimum/recommended spec?  Both
are
> identical:
> DRBD 0.7.10
> CentOS 3.4 (same as RedHat Enterprise Linux 3)
> Celeron 600
> 1GB ECC RAM
> 120GB drives (don't recall the DMA/RPM speed but I can find out if
necessary)
> 100MBit Intel NICs connected by crossover (don't recall which chipset
but
> I can find out if necessary)
>
> If they do meet spec, any ideas why load peaked so much?  I was writing
many small files using dump and restore.  I could see how someone could
DoS us by repeatedly hammering our logs or uploading thousands of tiny
files.