[DRBD-user] Debianization (was: DRBD 0.7.4)

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Fri Sep 17 14:49:39 CEST 2004

David Krovich wrote:

> I agree that it'd be easier if upstream didn't keep a version of the
> debian directory in version control.  We should be able to coordinate
> the debian directory just within Debian itself.

The problem is, that there is demand from users to have the latest
development versions available with debian-packaging.

Having the debian directory in the upstream version is a little
inconvenience for the developers, and a very less inconvenience for the
maintainer (I assume), but it is a large convenience for many users.

Personnally I am not a great friend of differences between developer and
distribution versions, if there is no _serious_ reason.

At least I see the necessity to have a co-maintainer for DRBD to avoid
too large time lags.

> I would assume some people are still more comfortable
> using 0.6.x over 0.7.x, so we would want to keep both versions available.

Maybe some users of Kernel 2.2.x or Woody want to have 0.6.x still
available. But 0.7.x is more important and the release of 0.8.x is maybe
coming within months (and not years).

Helmut Wollmersdorfer