[DRBD-user] question regarding meta-data

campbellm at cia.com.au campbellm at cia.com.au
Wed Oct 6 02:57:59 CEST 2004

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what the pros and cons of using 'internal'
meta-data vs putting the meta-data on its own partition? I have read
all the documentation (as far as I can see), but am not really sure
which is more suitable. It mentions in the documentation that if you
use meta-data internal, then you should 'shrink an existing filesystem
first'. I'm not sure what this means. The main reason behind my question
is whether one is easier to manage. For instance, if the primary crashes
and needs a rebuild, the documentation notes that you should 'remove any
meta-data' before you attempt to sync it back from the acting primary.
Is this option available with 'internal' meta-data?

We are running DRBD 0.7.4 with HA 1.2.3. The
specs for the machines (if at all relevant) are as follows:

Dell poweredge 1750
1 x Xeon 3.0 Ghz
1 GB memory
LSI U320 SCSI
1 x 73GB HDD

The machine will be used as a web server, and will also run mysql.

Cheers for any help,

Campbell