[DRBD-user] using drbd on software raid

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Sun May 30 03:43:36 CEST 2004

I am attempting to use drbd on top of software raid.
I have successfully create the raid5 partition.
I have not put a file system on it.
I have compiled drbd and loaded module.
I started drbd with the following commands (see below addresses munged)
When i attempt to make the file system on /dev/nb0 it gives me the
following error:
mkreiserfs: Guessing about desired format..
mkreiserfs: Kernel 2.4.25 is running.
reiserfs_create: can not create that small (0 blocks) filesystem

drbdsetup commands:
drbdsetup /dev/nb0 disk /dev/md4
drbdsetup /dev/nb0 primary

Here is my drbd.conf file:

resource drbd0 {
  protocol=B
fsckcmd  = fsck -p -y
on cslabxx {
     device=/dev/nb0
     disk=/dev/md4
     address=153.90.199.xx
     port=7789
    }

on compxx {
        device=/dev/nb0
        disk=/dev/md3
        address=153.90.199.xx
        port=7789
  }
 }
#--------
Results of drbd show command:
Lower device: 09:04   (/dev/md4)
Disk options:
Local address: 153.90.199.xx:7789
Remote address: 153.90.199.xx:7789
Wire protocol: B
Net options:
 timeout = 6.0 sec
 tl-size = 256
 connect-int = 10 sec
 ping-int = 10 sec
 sndbuf-size = 131070
 sync-min = 200 KB/sec
 sync-max = 250 KB/sec
 sync-nice = 10

Contest of /proc/drbd
version: 0.6.12 (api:64/proto:62)

0: cs:WFConnection st:Secondary/Unknown ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 pe:0 ua:0
1: cs:Unconfigured st:Secondary/Unknown ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 pe:0 ua:0

The exact commands i used to create the software raid where:
mdadm -v --create /dev/md4 --level=5 --raid-disks=4 /dev/hde4 /dev/hdf4
/dev/hdg4 /dev/hdh4
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hde4 /dev/hdf4 /dev/hdg4 /dev/hdh4
I then rebooted.
Then I attempted to create a filesystem on /dev/nb0

All the documentation appears to indicate this is the order to use when
creating drbd on software raid:
create raid.
create drbd on top of raid
make file system on drbd.

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering