[DRBD-user] Help with DRBD Installation !

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 17 11:18:35 CET 2004

 Giuliano Gigli wrote:

> I was trying to install DRBD last day on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and today in
> Debian 3.0 r2.
[...]
> I cant integrate the DRBD module in to the kernel . So when i type
> "modprobe drbd" it says a message that no module exists with this name .

This was way on Debian testing and drbd 0.6.10-3 from
http://fsrc.csee.wvu.edu/debian/apt-repository/

# login as root or do su

# install drbd binary
apt-get install drbd ...

#install kernel-source
apt-get install 'kernel-source-2.4.24'

cd /usr/src/
rm linux
tar xvjf kernel-source-2.4.24.tar.bz2
ln -s kernel-source-2.4.24 linux
cd linux/scripts
chmod +x ver_linux
./ver_linux

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.24
make mrproper # only for new .config

# copy old kernel config
cp /boot/config-2.4.22-xfs .config
make menuconfig # change to your needs
make-kpkg clean

#install drbd-source
apt-get install drbd-source ...

cd /usr/src
tar xzf drbd.tar.gz

#make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image modules_image
# --initrd does not work without a patch for cramfs
# instead, take care, that the filesys of / is compiled into the kernel
# e.g. ext3 in my case ;-)
make-kpkg kernel_image modules_image
cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.sav
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.24-epia1_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
dpkg -i drbd-module-2.4.24-epia1_0.6.10-3+10.00.Custom_i386.deb

#add an entry to /etc/lilo.conf like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-epia1
        label=LinuxNew
        read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
        label=Linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
        read-only

# run lilo
lilo
reboot

update-modules # did you do this?
modprobe drbd
lsmod

# you need something like this, assuming a properly changed /etc/drbd.conf
and an existing partition for your DRBD-device

root at via1:/dev# cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV  -v nb0
create nb0      b 43 0 root:disk 0660

root at via1:~# mkfs -b 4096 /dev/nb0
root at via1:~# mkdir /mnt/nb0
root at via1:~# mount /dev/nb0 /mnt/nb0
root at via2:/home/helmut/download# /etc/init.d/drbd drbd0 restart

Now you should be able to play around, start, stop etc.

> Do i have to make any kernel modification or its only the make / make
> install with DRBD package ?

Normally it should not be necessary.

HTH

Helmut Wollmersdorfer