[DRBD-user] Disk I/O errors

Brandon Laing Brandon.Laing at vancoservices.com
Mon Mar 8 18:40:37 CET 2004

Hello list,

I'm been repeatedly running into some disk I/O errors on my drbd setup the past few days. It seems to be related to how the disk size is set in the drbd.conf file. Here's what's happened so far:

Both systems are running the same hardware, that being a 3ware RAID-5 array, with the partition size being about 144GB on an ext3 filesystem. The OS is Fedora Core 1, running kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.

Initially, I estimated on the disk size in the config file and made it about 140GB. Everything worked, but I was only able to move about 1.5GB worth of data to the disk before I started getting disk I/O errors. Deleting some folders/files would allow me to put other data on, but only up to a certain point.

Next, I tried to set the disk size very small to help get around the 3.5 hour wait for the SyncAll to take place. Again, things appeared to work great, but I could only move about 500MB worth of data to the disk before I/O errors showed up.

Finally, I tried to use the maximum size. However, I'm not exactly sure how to get the correct amount of space. So, I looked at the disk size through the system monitor (144.3GB) and worked out the number of blocks that way (147763200k). This time, I was able to get just shy of 6GB on the disk before these errors show up.

The error message reads as:

Error While Copying:
Error "I/O error" while copying "filename".
Would you like to continue?

Of course, retrying doesn't help at all.

If I try to add something to the drive through Samba, the error message is:

Unable to create the file "filename".
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

So, I'm fairly positive that this is related to the disk size setting, but again, I'm not sure how to go about getting the *exact* size I need to avoid running into this problem.

Might anyone have some suggestions to help with this?

Thanks,
Brandon