[DRBD-user] Quick Sync Option

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Jun 30 22:35:21 CEST 2004

/ 2004-06-22 15:59:15 -0700
\ Jason Gray:
> >>I was reading on the Linux-HA site that DRBD has a quick sync option.
> >>What command is that?
> >
> >It happens automatically.
> >
> The only reason I ask is that I have large arrays (2TB) and it takes 3-4
> days to re-sync.  If there was a way to re-sync the data (like rsync
> using the check sum switch) that only updates changes rather than the
> whole array, it would save a considerable amount of time.

> The only other option is the sync-skip option but that reduces the
> data reliability.

No Sir. Not an option at all. It does not "reduce" reliability,
it _ignores_ data changes.  This is like replacing a failed disk in a
RAID1, but then not rebuilding it. If the corresponding other disk
fails, data is lost completely.  DO NOT use skip-sync. Never.
This is a "wizards only" thing, and probably should not even be documented :)

	Lars Ellenberg