[DRBD-user] newbie

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jun 14 10:10:19 CEST 2004

/ 2004-06-14 09:36:21 -0700
\ Ernest Byaruhanga:
> On Sunday 13 June 2004 02:38, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > / 2004-06-12 16:29:45 -0700
> >
> > \ Ernest Byaruhanga:
> > > Hello DRBD users,
> > >
> > > I am new to clustering and please excuse any ignorance :) I've
> > > tried to read lots though.
> > >
> > > I would like to implement a 2-node cluster without a shared scsi
> > > drive for the nodes, and after research and googling, i found
> > > that DRDB with Heartbeat will solve my problem.
> > >
> > > I am implementing this on two RedHat Linux Enterprise AS 3.0
> > > Dell PowerEdge Servers with RAID-1.
> > >
> > > I however have a few questions:
> > >
> > > 1. I have already configured one server (DNS, sendmail, RT,
> > >    etc..). Is it possible that these services can automatically
> > >    sync on the other server without having to re-configure it?
> >
> > as long as you make sure all the data they need (i.e. changing and
> > state information) is on shared storage (DRBD), and the same
> > services are configured the same on both boxes, then you no longer
> > need to reconfigure.
>
> ok, thanks Lars for your valuable answers. I have just also read that i do not
> need heartbeat for drbd to work. I just need to know from the experienced
> folk on this list wether its advantageous to have drbd with heartbeat, or
> drbd alone.

drbd does not do failover. for automatic failover you need something
like heartbeat. of course you can script something yourself, if you fell
more comfortable then, or do failover by hand.

> about syncing the services, must i install the high-availability services (say
> if i want http, dnd,pop3, http ) on the shared medium or just their
> configuration files?

you can just copy config files. though you also can put them on drbd.
you need to put the *data* and *state* information on shared media.
thats it. no point in "live replication" of static data like binaries
and libs.

	lge