[DRBD-user] A GNUbie needs help!

GNUbie gnubie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 01:08:00 CET 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:59:43 +0100, Bernd Schubert
<bernd-schubert at web.de> wrote:

> So go ahead and just mirror /dev/mapper/lvm-home.

Ok, I'll do that.

> > /dev/mapper/lvm-tmp on /tmp type reiserfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,notail)
> > /dev/mapper/lvm-usr on /usr type reiserfs (rw,notail)
> > /dev/mapper/lvm-var on /var type reiserfs (rw,nodev,notail)
>
> When you want to have automatic failover with heartbeath, mirroring /usr won't
> work, at least not directly as /usr.

But among the remaining 3 volumes listed above, I don't think I need
to mirror them because AFAIK, /tmp contains only temporary files; /usr
are binary and docs/manpages files; and /var for logs.  Am I thinking
that right?

> You need /var/lib/nfs on both systems to be equally, we did this by linking it
> to a directory on one of our mirrored partions. Theoretically there's also
> another (better) way with 2.6., but this is still not thoroughly tested.

Well, I'm still configuring the master node and after I finish
configuring DRBD, I'll make a disk image copy for the secondary node
by using the dd utility.  In my master node, I already installed
nfs-utils-1.0.6-2.1.101mdk.i586.rpm and related packages but I'm
thinking to use the nfs4-utils-1.0.6-2mdk.i586.rpm and it's related
packages.  What do you think is best for NFS server package?  I
haven't tried NFS 4 yet and I don't know if it's good enough for
production.  Any advice?

> What for should want to mirror it? On your failover node you can't use it as
> root partion anyway (same reason for /usr).
> drbd-user

Ok.  I won't mirror my / partition anymore.  Thanks for your advice.

To summarize, based on your advice, I'll just mirror only my
"/dev/mapper/lvm-home on /home type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,notail)"
volume.

Thanks again.

God bless...

GNUbie