[DRBD-user] A GNUbie needs help!

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Thu Dec 16 21:43:26 CET 2004

> > > /dev/mapper/lvm-tmp on /tmp type reiserfs
> > > (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,notail) /dev/mapper/lvm-usr on /usr type
> > > reiserfs (rw,notail)
> > > /dev/mapper/lvm-var on /var type reiserfs (rw,nodev,notail)
> >
> > When you want to have automatic failover with heartbeath, mirroring /usr
> > won't work, at least not directly as /usr.
>
> But among the remaining 3 volumes listed above, I don't think I need
> to mirror them because AFAIK, /tmp contains only temporary files; /usr
> are binary and docs/manpages files; and /var for logs.  Am I thinking
> that right?

Yes, I think so.

> > You need /var/lib/nfs on both systems to be equally, we did this by
> > linking it to a directory on one of our mirrored partions. Theoretically
> > there's also another (better) way with 2.6., but this is still not
> > thoroughly tested.
>
> Well, I'm still configuring the master node and after I finish
> configuring DRBD, I'll make a disk image copy for the secondary node
> by using the dd utility.  In my master node, I already installed

This won't help for /var/lib/nfs, it is managed dynamically, so you really
need this all the time to be consistant!

> nfs-utils-1.0.6-2.1.101mdk.i586.rpm and related packages but I'm
> thinking to use the nfs4-utils-1.0.6-2mdk.i586.rpm and it's related
> packages.  What do you think is best for NFS server package?  I
> haven't tried NFS 4 yet and I don't know if it's good enough for
> production.  Any advice?

I don't know what mandrake is doing, but offifical nfs utils will have many
updated to nfsv4 with 1.0.7 (to be released this week?). Anyway, NFSv4 is
still a rather new protocol and it is not just a (slight) improvement as V3
to V2 was. Furthermore it is pretty much untested, not what one really wants
to have in a high availibility environment...

> To summarize, based on your advice, I'll just mirror only my
> "/dev/mapper/lvm-home on /home type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,notail)"
> volume.

Yes, I think thats the only partion from your list that makes sense to be
mirrored.

Cheers,
 Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
e-mail: bernd.schubert at pci.uni-heidelberg.de