[Csync2] SSL Handshake Problem

Mike Young myoung at wildernessvoice.com
Thu Jan 12 18:16:54 CET 2012

Hi,

I am trying to configure csync2 on a couple of OpenSuse 12.1 nodes, but I'm
having a problem with respect to TLS handshaking. I've added an entry to
/etc/services as was required in the Csync paper (csync2          30865/tcp
# Csync2 service) and I've configured xinetd to enable the service. The
service appears to start without any issues, until I actually perform a
"csync2 ­xv" operation. Then I get the following error:

> node1:/etc/csync2 # csync2 -xv
> Connecting to host node2 (SSL) ...
> WARNING: no socket to connect to
> Received record packet of unknown type 87
> SSL: handshake failed: An unexpected TLS packet was received.
> (GNUTLS_E_UNEXPECTED_PACKET)

I thought maybe my SSL certificates may have been malformed, so I
regenerated them using these steps :

>  openssl genrsa \
>
> -out /etc/csync2_ssl_key.pem 1024
>
> openssl req -new \
>
> -key /etc/csync2_ssl_key.pem \
>
> -out /etc/csync2_ssl_cert.csr
>
> openssl x509 -req -days 600 \
>
> -in /etc/csync2_ssl_cert.csr \
>
> -signkey /etc/csync2_ssl_key.pem \
>
> -out /etc/csync2_ssl_cert.pem

But that also didn't fix the problem. And help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike