tie-braker node promotion

Boris Tobotras tobotras at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 10:40:14 CET 2024

Hi drbd users,

I’ve set up a two-node configuration, and it works as expected protecting me from the single node failure.
Now I want to also be protected against network failure — and the resulting split brain state.
I’ve added a third diskless node to serve as a tiebreaker. Now when I’m testing working node failure, I’m
sometimes getting this third node promotion to an active one.

The configuration is as follows:

resource "data" {
  device minor 1;
  disk /dev/sda;
  meta-disk internal;
  on "worker1" {
    node-id 0;
    address 172.16.3.113:7789;
  }
  on "worker2" {
    node-id 1;
    address 172.16.3.114:7789;
  }
  on "breaker" {
    node-id 2;
    address 172.16.3.115:7789;
    disk none;
  }
  connection-mesh {
    hosts "worker1" "worker2" "breaker";
  }
}

What am I doing wrong here?
Can DRBD be configured so the diskless node never gets promoted?
Or is there another way to get what I need?
Thanks a lot in advance!
--
Regards, — Boris.