[DRBD-user] drbd build failure due to missing REQ_OP_WRITE_SAME symbol

Christoph Böhmwalder christoph.boehmwalder at linbit.com
Wed Nov 2 11:27:33 CET 2022

Am 02.11.22 um 11:16 schrieb Akemi Yagi:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 2:59 AM Christoph Böhmwalder
> <christoph.boehmwalder at linbit.com
> <mailto:christoph.boehmwalder at linbit.com>> wrote:
>
>     Am 28.10.22 um 00:59 schrieb Akemi Yagi:> Hi Reid,
>     >
>     > RHEL 9.1 beta is out. Kernel is 5.14.0-160.el9. Since
>     REQ_OP_WRITE_SAME
>     > is gone like in the c9s kernel, drbd 9.x fails to build (tried
>     with 9.1.11).
>     >
>     > With the way things stand, when RHEL 9.1 hits the road in
>     November, ELRepo
>     > will not be able to build kmod-drbd9x for RHEL-9 users.
>     >
>     > Any possible solution?
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     > Akemi
>
>     We do have a fix for that on the drbd-9.1 development branch:
>     6842600a876d ("drbd: remove WRITE_SAME support").
>
>     There has not been a 9.1 release since, and this is obviously untested,
>     but maybe it works with 9.2.0?
>
>     If you could try to compile the current state of the drbd-9.1 branch
>     with that new RHEL kernel, that would be helpful.
>
>     Regards,
>     Christoph
>     --
>     Christoph Böhmwalder
>     LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running
>     DRBD HA —  Disaster Recovery — Software defined Storage
>

> First I applied the commit "drbd: remove WRITE_SAME support". But the
> build failed with (new) errors.
>
> Then I tried the current code from the drbd-9.1 branch. I got:
>
> ... spatch: command not found
> Successfully connected to SPAAS ...
> (snip)
> patching file drbd_receiver.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1721.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
> patching file drbd_nl.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1940.
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 2205.
> 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED
> patching file drbd_main.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1569.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
> patching file drbd_debugfs.c
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 1828 (offset 1 line).
> patching file drbd_dax_pmem.c
>
> This is where I stand. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any help
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Akemi

See the "Building DRBD" section in the README:
https://github.com/LINBIT/drbd#building-drbd

I'm assuming you downloaded an archive of the code, which is why it
tried to call "spatch as a service". However, that will only work with a
release tarball, which is why the resulting patch does not apply.

Basically, you need to install coccinelle >1.0.8.