[DRBD-user] Adding a Physical Disk to a Storage Pool

Gábor Hernádi gabor.hernadi at linbit.com
Mon May 2 10:50:13 CEST 2022

> # vgcreate  vg0 /dev/nvme0n1 /dev/nvme1n1 /dev/nvme2n1 /dev/nvme3n1
> /dev/nvme4n1 /dev/nvme5n1
>
> It's all one big volume group and we let Linstor provision resources
> wherever it wants. What is the effect If one NVME drive fails? Do all
> resources on the node go diskless, or just resources that happen to live
> entirely on the failed drive?

I am not an LVM expert, but to my understanding, LVM (by default) just uses
the devices as they come / are needed in your setup. That means, if one
device fails, those volumes that are at least partially placed on the
failed device will be in trouble (I assume IO errors when accessing them).
I am not sure how LVM behaves if a part of a volume is accessed which is on
a healthy disk... but you should be able to try such things by yourself
using loop devices as PVs.

--
Best regards,
Gabor Hernadi