[DRBD-user] drbd-dkms on Ubutu 20.04

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Wed Sep 29 09:24:32 CEST 2021

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 03:46:53PM -0700, Paul D. O'Rorke wrote:
> HI all,
>
> this page : https://linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/drbd-guide-9_0-en/#s-install-pkgs-ubuntu_linux <https://linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/drbd-guide-9_0-en/#s-install-pkgs-ubuntu_linux>
> says to install drbd-utils drbd-dkms but apt is unable to locate the
> drbd-dkms package:
>
>    $ sudo apt install drbd-utils drbd-dkms
>    Reading package lists... Done
>    Building dependency tree
>    Reading state information... Done
>    E: Unable to locate package drbd-dkms

Hi Paul,

2 possibilities:
- You are a customer and have our customer repos enabled: You would not
  install via dkms as you would have access to pre-built binary kernel
  modules. You could still use the dkms if you think compiling from
  source helps (it does not). But in that case you would open a ticket
  and not ask on drbd-user.

- You are not a customer: Then you don't have access to pre-build kernel
  modules, but you can use the dkms. Still you need to enable a (public)
  repository that has the dkms package. For Ubuntu that would be [1].

So my guess is you did not enable any special repos (customer or public)
and expected the dkms package to be part of the Ubuntu base repos. Which
it isn't. The section you are quoting has 2 (!) lines. One is the apt
command, the one before says:

"For Ubuntu LTS, LINBIT offers a PPA repository at
https://launchpad.net/~linbit/+archive/ubuntu/linbit-drbd9-stack. See
Adding Launchpad PPA Repositories for more information."

Did you enable it?

Regards, rck
[1] https://launchpad.net/~linbit/+archive/ubuntu/linbit-drbd9-stack