[DRBD-user] Linstore: Renaming a resource possible?

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Thu May 20 15:46:56 CEST 2021

Sorry Ronald,

On 20.05.21 15:09, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 01:54:13PM +0100, Yanni M. wrote:
>> I second this. A resource definition or resource rename functionality would
>> be useful. This should be fairly easy to accomplish in Linstor given that
>> drbd .res files (without Linstor layer) can be easily renamed?
> https://github.com/LINBIT/linstor-server/issues/44#issuecomment-618923893

but this is a really lame excuse. I have developed software since 40
years. At least in the last 30 years no real developer mixes primary
keys with names of resources any more.

And if he did, and be told about it, he would notice that this was a
severe error and be glad to fix it.

All that I and some others here like to have is the possibility to
change the "label" of a resource. No more, no less. We do not like to
change any data on disk, nor UIDs of partitions or the such.

That the current information "vm-X-disk-Y" on what VM as which disk the
resource acts is not needed for linstore/drbd internally to work
correctly is shown in my example. I can add
"vm-X-disk-Y" to a VM Q as Disc R and it would run flawlessly. Only that
the label then does not match the logical "context" any more.

What linbit lacks is simply the abstraction and distinction of "display
label" and "internal unique identifier".

Cheers,

Volker

   inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
   Hungerbichlweg 3               +49 (8860) 9222 7 92
   86977 Burggen                     https://inqbus.de