[DRBD-user] mounting drbd snapshots that contain vdo devices

Mon Jun 21 08:43:19 CEST 2021

On 21/6/21 12:21, Eric Robinson wrote:

> I have a filesystem directly on a drbd disk, and the drbd disk has an
> LVM volumes as a backing device. It looks like this…
>
> lvm volume
>
>                 drbd disk
>
>                                 ext4 filesystem
>
> I can snapshot the backing device, mount it, and explore the filesystems.
>
> However, I recently started experimenting with vdo, so now the stack
> looks like this….
>
> lvm volume
>
>                 drbd disk
>
>                                 vdo disk
>
> ext4 filesystem
>
> When I snapshot the backing device, I can no longer mount it because
> it complains that vdo is an unknown filesystem type. Any ideas how I
> can mount the vdo disk from the snapshot?

Makes sense..... I guess you would need to refer to the VDO docs to find
out what you need to do to make a snapshot of a VDO device appear as a
proper/normal block device, and then mount the filesystem from that
block device.

Very similar to if you used encryption between the DRBD disk and the
filesystem, you would need to make the decrypted block device available,
and then mount that....

Regards,
Adam