[DRBD-user] The Problem of File System Corruption w/DRBD

Eddie Chapman eddie at ehuk.net
Thu Jun 3 20:11:16 CEST 2021

On 03/06/2021 13:50, Eric Robinson wrote:
> [...]

Some of the things being discussed here have nothing to do with drbd.
drbd provides a raw block level device. It knows nothing about nor cares
what layers you place above it, whether they be filesystems or some
other block layer such as LVM or bcache.

It does a very specific job; ensure the blocks you write to a drbd
device get replicated and stored in real time on one or more other
distributed hosts. If you write a 512byte size block of random garbage
to a drbd device it will (and should) write the exact same garbage to
the other distributed hosts too, so that if you read that same 512byte
block back from any 1 of those individual hosts, you'll get the exact
same garbage back.

The OP stated "if the filesystem gets corrupted, then DRBD faithfully
replicates the corruption to the other node." Good! That's exactly what
we want it to do. What we definitely do NOT want is for drbd to
manipulate the block data given to it in any way whatsoever, we want it
to faithfully replicate this.