[DRBD-user] The Problem of File System Corruption w/DRBD

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jun 3 02:23:12 CEST 2021

On 2021-06-02 5:17 p.m., Eric Robinson wrote:
> Since DRBD lives below the filesystem, if the filesystem gets corrupted,
> then DRBD faithfully replicates the corruption to the other node. Thus
> the filesystem is the SPOF in an otherwise shared-nothing architecture.
> What is the recommended way (if there is one) to avoid the filesystem
> SPOF problem when clusters are based on DRBD?
>
> -Eric

To start, HA, like RAID, is not a replacement for backups. That is the
answer to a situation like this... HA (and other availability systems
like RAID) protect against component failure. If a node fails, the peer
recovers automatically and your services stay online. That's what DRBD
and other HA solutions strive to provide; uptime.

If you want to protect against corruption (accidental or intentional,
a-la cryptolockers), you need a robust backup system to _compliment_
your HA solution.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of