[DRBD-user] DRBD + ZFS

David Bruzos david.bruzos at jaxport.com
Tue Aug 24 21:03:00 CEST 2021

Hello Eric:

> What degree of performance degradation have you observed with DRBD over ZFS? Our servers will be using NVME drives with 25Gbit networking:

    Unfortunately, I have not had the time to properly benchmark and compare a setup like yours with DRBD on top of ZFS.  Very superficial tests show that my I/O is more than sufficient for my workload, so I'm then more interested is the data integrity, snapshotting, compression, etc.  I would not want to create misinformation by sharing I/O stats that are not taking into account the many aspects of a proper ZFS benchmark and that are not being compared against an alternative setup.
    In the days of spinning rust storage, I always used mirrored vdevs, always added a fast ZIL, lots of RAM for ARC and a couple of caching devices for L2ARC, so the performance was great when compared with the alternatives.

> Since you don't recommend having ZFS above DRBD, what filesystem do you use over DRBD?

    I've always had good results with XFS on LVM (very thin).  That combination usually gives you good flexibility at the VM level and the performance is great.  These days, ext4 is a reasonable choice, but I still use XFS most of the time.
    I would like to see what other folks think about the XFS+LVM combination for VMs vs something like ext4+LVM.

> Linbit recommends that compression take place above DRBD rather than below. What are your thoughts about their recommendation versus your approach?

    If you can provide a link to their recommendation, I can be more specific.  In any case, I'm sure their recommendation is reasonable depending on what your specific workload is.  In my case, I mostly use compression at the backing storage level, because it gives me a predictable and well understood VM environment where I can run a wide variety of guest operating systems, applications, workloads, etc, without having to worry about the specifics for each possible VM scenario.
    The reason I normally don't use ZFS for VMs is because I believe it best serves its purpose at the backing storage level for many reasons.  ZFS is designed to leverage lots of RAM for ARC, to handle the storage directly, to do many things with your hardware that are very much abstracted away at the guest level.

What is your specific usage scenario?

--
David Bruzos (Systems Administrator)
Jacksonville Port Authority