[DRBD-user] Remove DRBD w/out Data Loss

Trevor Hemsley themsley at voiceflex.com
Wed Sep 2 04:01:36 CEST 2020

On 01/09/2020 22:43, Eric Robinson wrote:

> Yannis –
>

> Here’s what I don’t understand.
>

> The backing device is logical volume: /dev/vg1/lv1
>

> The drbd volume is: drbd0
>

> The filesystem is ext4 on /dev/drbd0
>

> Since the filesystem is built on /dev/drbd0, not on /dev/vg1/lv1, if
> we remove drbd from the mix, can we then simply do:
>

> # mount /dev/vg1/lv1 /mnt and find all the data there?

Ideally what you do is something like this lot (untested but looks
reasonable)

umount it
remove it from /etc/fstab
drbdadm down $resource
drbdadm wipe-md $resource
stop drbd
remove drbd config files
remove drbd from the system
decide whether to extend your filesystem into the extra space that was
previously used by DRBD at the end of /dev/vg1/lv1 or whether to reduce
the size of the LV (assuming internal metadata).
if extending then run resize2fs/xfs_growfs as applicable
if removing extra space then I'll leave it to you to work out how much
you can safely remove without destroying the filesystem!

DRBD metadata is kept at the end of the block device it occupies so
there is extra space on the end of /dev/vg1/lv1 that is not part of the
filesystem that's on that block device.

Trevor

Disclaimer