[DRBD-user] LVM Global Filter Question

Eric Robinson eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Mon Mar 30 18:09:40 CEST 2020

Greetings,

I come here about once a year looking for help understanding LVM filtering with DRBD. I've read the relevant sections of the DRBD User Guide, visited various web sites, and spoken to people in the list, but I'm still looking for a simple rule of thumb.

Basically, here is what I've come to understand:

  1.  If DRBD lives *above* an LVM volume, then the default LVM filtering settings are fine; no changes are required to lvm.conf. The LVs will remain active on all DRBD nodes, and an LVM resource agent is not required.

  1.  If DRBD lives *below* or *between* LVM volumes, then:

     *   set global_filter to reject the DRBD backing devices
     *   set write_cache_state = 0
     *   set use_lvmetad = 0
     *   set volume_list to include block devices required to boot
     *   remove /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.
     *   run lvscan
     *   regenerate initrd
     *   reboot
     *   Use a cluster resource agent to activate/de-activate LVs as required by cluster operation

Please feel free to correct any mistakes.

--Eric

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.