[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-5.0.0rc1

Andreas Pflug pgadmin at pse-consulting.de
Tue Mar 17 16:11:19 CET 2020

Am 17.03.20 um 15:51 schrieb Roland Kammerer:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 03:33:55PM +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>> I see redundancy still used in the current documentation at
>> https://www.linbit.com/linstor-setup-proxmox-ve-volumes/ , so it appears
>> to me as being switched from "documented/supported" to "not supported"
>> directly, without a deprecation phase.
>
> This is an old blog post. Sorry, I do not intend to update ever blog
> post I have ever written for ever. The only alternative is to stop
> writing blog posts.

Understood. googling for linstor-proxmox resource group gave this as
first hit, with quite a prominent url.

> The documentation, which is the only source of truth (not some years old
> blog post), states:
> "The preferred way to use the plugin, starting from version 4.1.0, is
> via LINSTOR resource groups and a single volume group within every
> resource group. LINSTOR resource groups are described in Resource
> groups. All the required LINSTOR configuration (e.g., redundancy count)
> has to be set on the resource group."[1]

Pleading guilty of not reading the docs on every dist-upgrade...

> I tagged v4.1.0 on:
> "Date: Mon Sep 16 11:30:54 2019 +0200".
>
> People had enough time. And I announce(d) it here in the RC1. I did not
> sneak it in.

I'm glad I'm subscribed, now I know what to do. Maybe checking for old
stuff in storage.cfg is a good idea, with a breakage warning when detected.

> Switching an existing config to RGs is trivial. I really really think
> this is acceptable for not having to maintain tons of legacy layers that
> would most likely introduce bugs.

Sure, old stuff must die.

Regard,
Andreas