[DRBD-user] Proxmox 6 - Linstor controller service no longer restarts

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Thu Jan 16 11:38:56 CET 2020

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:29:20AM +0100, Greb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just performed moving, resizing, snapshot tests on a Proxmox 6
> / drbd / Linstor / Thin storage model.  The last test carried out
> consisted in restoring a snapshot with memory of a vm after having
> increased the size of its disk by the web interface proxmox.  The
> operation was carried out correctly except that the size of the
> Linstor volume definition corresponding to the disk did not drop back
> to its original size but without impacting the system or the vm ...
> So it's just for the context but I'm not sure the following problem is
> related: Some time later, I simply wanted to restart the Linstor
> controller service but without success since.

I'm surprised it even works that well. Snapshots in the Proxmox plugin
are very very limited:
- You can take a snapshot from the GUI, and it hopefully results in a
  snapshot on LINSTOR level.

And that's it. End of story. No rollback. Let alone over resizes. It is
meant as last resort if everything is broken and the last resort is
rolling back to a snapshot and handling the rest manually on the CLI
(including full resyncs and everything that might be necessary on the
way). It is just for "ok cool, somewhere there is a snapshot and I did
not loose my complete data"). No GUI, no nothing. Everything that works
beyond what I described is pure coincidence and unsupported as well as
untested.

Best, rck