[DRBD-user] DRBD support on CentOS Stream

immanuel at fodor.it immanuel at fodor.it
Mon Dec 21 14:59:44 CET 2020

Hi Everyone,

I'm using Piraeus thus DRBD in my home k8s cluster which was running on CentOS 8 until Red Hat pulled its plug recently. After some evaluation of the available options, I decided to upgrade to the new rolling release CentOS Stream which only resulted in minor or patch-level changes in packages, however, my DRBD kernel-module-injector container stopped working.

I opened the following ticket in the Piraeus repo with detailed information: https://github.com/piraeusdatastore/piraeus-operator/issues/137
There Joel told me the following:

> It appears that Red Hat have made some changes in kernel version 4.18.0-257 which are not yet covered by the DRBD compatibility layer. In particular, they have removed the function blk_alloc_queue. I suggest you downgrade to a kernel version supported by DRBD, such as 4.18.0-240.

I tried to downgrade the kernel package but dnf says there is no previous option to downgrade to.
Although I'm not a LINBIT customer, may I humbly ask for support of CentOS Stream with the new kernel version? If it takes a couple of weeks, I can wait as no mission critical workloads are depending on Piraeus in my case. However, I can also imagine more and more people upgrading to CentOS Stream, so they would also benefit, and eventually the new RHEL version will also get the new kernel.

Kind regards,
Immánuel Fodor